Monday, August 31, 2009

Praying Mantis

As I was unloading groceries something on our front step caught my eye. As I looked closer I noticed it was a Praying Mantis but also the biggest one I have ever seen. It was at least 9-10 cm long. I quickly grabbed Evie to come take a look (Ethan was already down for his nap).


I don't know why I just looked up Praying Mantis on google but I thought this was interesting enough to share. "Praying mantises, or praying mantids, are carnivorous (meat -eating) insects. There are about 2,000 different types of mantids. The biggest are over 15 cm long and the smallest are about 1 cm long. Mantids are found in warm to hot places in most continents of the world. The insect gets its name from the way it holds its front forelegs up as though it is praying"

No comments:

Post a Comment